Consumer Protection

Australian has a strong consumer protection framework to protect the rights of Australian consumers, including international students in Australia.
The Australian Consumer Law includes a national law guaranteeing consumer rights when buying goods and services. Visit or to find the relevant government agency for where you are living and studying.
Overseas Students Ombudsman
The Overseas Students Ombudsman (OSO) investigates complaints about problems that overseas students have with private education and Training institutions in Australia. The Ombudsman’s services are free, independent and impartial. You can find out more about this service on their website:
The OSO also produces an email newsletter for international students. You can subscribe to the newsletter on the OSO website:
If you are studying at a public institution, such as TAFE colleges and many universities and schools, you should contact the Ombudsman in the state or territory in which you are studying to lodge a complaint. You can find details of what the Ombudsman can investigate on their website.
Enquiry Now
Shop and businesses operate differently around the world so it’s a good idea to become familiar with the way things are done in Australia so you get the best value for money.
The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist you if your institution (referred to as ‘Education Provider’ under the TPS) is unable to fully deliver your course of study.
The TPS may also assist you if you have withdrawn from, or not started, your course and are eligible for a refund of tuition fees and the institution has not paid them.
For more information visit the Tuition Protection Service website