Support & Welfare

We are committed to ensuring that you get all the support you need to be successful in your studies. You may nothave studied for a while and or you might need help with study skills. You may also need assistance with skills such as reading, writing and maths.
The enrolment form you complete will help us to identify any support you need and depending on the course you are enrolling in, you may also be required to complete a test that assesses your language, literacy and numeracy skills. Based on the information you provide in your enrolment and/or the results of your language, literacy and numeracy test, we will contact you to discuss your support needs.
Your support needs can also be discussed during the induction to your course.
Services that we can offer to you include:
One to one support from our trainers/assessors including providing you with their phone and email contact details
Classes to assist with study skills.
Study groups where you can work with your fellow students.
Referral to relevant external services.
Specialist support services for students with a disability.
Personal counselling
Contact your trainer or Admin staff to discuss your support needs.
We can also offer you a range of welfare services to help with the mental, physical, social and spiritual well- being of international students. These services may include, through direct provision or referral, information/advice about: accommodation, counselling, crisis services, disabilities and equity issues, financial matters, legal issues, medical issues, mental health, peer mentoring, programs promoting social interaction, religious and spiritual matters, and stress-management. It may also include advice on academic and study issues.
Internal welfare services will be provided at no additional cost to the student. However, where a student is referred to an external provider, the student will be responsible for meeting the costs of the provider. SHIC does not charge for such referrals to the provider.
Please Contact the Student Support Officer at below details to enquire about welfare services we can offer:
Contact: 0394538330
The CEO (Bhallinder Singh) is available 24 hours in case of emergency at 0411356306.
For students requiring additional support with their studies, work or life, SHIC provides the following referrals to community organisations who may be able to assist you. Please note that some of these services may attract a fee which is payable by you.
Reading and Writing Hotline

Telephone: 1300 655 506


For the price of a local call anywhere in Australia, the Hotline can provide you with advice and a referral to one of 1200 providers of courses in adult literacy and numeracy.


Telephone: 131021


If you are completing a full-time course you may be eligible for benefits through Centrelink.

Australian Apprenticeship Centres (AAC)

Telephone: 1800 639 629


Australian Apprenticeship Centres handle all matters related to traineeships and apprenticeships. If you are a trainee or apprentice, some language, literacy and numeracy courses attract government subsidies. Talk to your AAC about this now.

The Victorian Equal Opportunity & Human Rights Commission

Telephone: (03) 9281 7100


The Commission can resolve individual complaints about discrimination, sexual harassment and racial and religious vilification by offering a conciliation process that is confidential, impartial, free, and simple.

Legal Aid Victoria

Telephone: 1800 677 402


Victoria Legal Aid helps people with their legal problems and focuses on helping and protecting the rights of socially and economically disadvantaged Victorians. It can provide assistance in the areas criminal law, family law and some civil law matters. Legal representation is subject to policy guidelines and means tests in most cases. They have lawyers in offices in most major metropolitan and country regions.

Disability Rights Victoria

Telephone: 1800 462 480

Disability Rights Victoria is an advocacy organisation directed by people with a disability. They work with and on behalf of adults with a disability. They provide individual advocacy, information and support to people with a disability via our network of advocates located across Victoria. This support may include making representation on behalf of individuals with a disability, helping individuals to advocate for themselves or helping others to advocate for them.


Telephone: 13 11 14

Anyone can call Lifeline. The 13 11 14 service offers a counselling service that respects everyone’s right to be heard, understood and cared for. They also provide information about other support services that are available in communities around Australia. If you feel that you might need telephone counselling, you can call about anything that might be troubling you.

Fair Work Australia

Telephone: 1300 799 675


Fair Work Australia is the national workplace relations tribunal. It is an independent body with power to carry out a range of functions relating to minimum wages, employment conditions, termination of employment and other workplace matters.

Reach Out


Reach Out is a web-based service that inspires young people to help themselves through tough times, and find ways to boost their own mental health and wellbeing. Their aim is to improve young people’s mental health and wellbeing by building skills and providing information, support and referrals in ways they know work for young people.

Note:Please contact Student Support officer if in case you need any further information and or any link is not working.